It is very rare to come across the term “photonovel” – people associated with photography or art have known this term for long. The Photonovel also spelled as “fotonovel” is one type of a book, a television episode or a small film that is put together by using the still instead of the art work. It also carries an interesting narration containing dialogues and other relevant text. The concept of photonovel became popular in late 70s and early 80s. Before the advent of high technology photography instruments and recording devices like VCR, at present there are several television programs and films that are adapting this format.
Photonovels is like comic books that contains images and relevant pictures instead of drawings. Since, photonovels is the combination of pictures and day to day language we speak, adult ESL learners are majorly seen using it to communicate through their ideas and thoughts. Photonovels can be a good aid in learning written and speaking English.
Today, the students that are working in public health to research where discussing the topic and further developing the story with the creative ideas, characters, dialogues take shape in the picture form. It uses a simple technology for the project – a digital camera and a comic life software program.
How Do You Design A Collaborative Photonovel?
To design the collaborative photonavel can be done in following steps. The steps are:
- Forming the photnovel group: To start with your will need at least 4-5 participants to get the best creativity, max you can add up to 10. You can now divide the project to these participants equally by making a team.
- Naming the problem: After forming the group the next step is to engage the students in the problem posing education. Forming the critical dialogues around the topic, the team is all set to write the story part.
- Considering the audience: This is the integral part of the photonovel- considering the audience. The story that the team is considering to do should be intended towards the targeted audience. The team should discuss the economic status, and cultural background with it.
- Writing the story: The next part is to prepare the draft of the storyline. The story problem is articulated at the beginning and reaches the solution. The main message to convey should portray well.
- Taking photographs: By this point, the team members must have decided the roles and found the project that start taking the creating life of its own.
- Using the digital technology: To bring the life to the project, the ultimate work comes is to transfer the images to the dialogues on the photographs. Learning how to do will also enhances the technical skills of the users as well.